Earlier projects that have been completed or shelved:
These are a few projects I worked on during university to teach myself about various aspects of game design. Since my computer science degree had very little game design included, I had to work on these projects on my own in what little spare time I got. They've all since been shelved or I've decided they're complete.
MOO2.5 Phase 1: Examining MOO2 and re-implementing part of it in Java to learn about the design challenges faced in creating a game of that scope. I gained a lot of valuable insights into the making of a game like MOO2, including some insights that could only really be obtained through experimentation rather than simple observation.
Knights: Creating a network multiplayer dungeon game using tile graphics from an old Amiga game of the same name. This was originally done in Java during university to learn about the different problems associated with writing netcode for an online game. After a lot of experimentation, I shelved the project to concentrate on university work. After graduation, came back to the project and used it as a look into rapid software development. I used my skills in object oriented systems design to draw up a basic UML specification for the game using a system of object responsibility. I then translated that into a working C# program, using XNA to speed up development. Within a week I'd gotten most of the game re-implemented in C#, including netcode. I have since lost interest and shelved the project.
Terrain: Experimenting with Reimer's advanced terrain tutorial in XNA to see what I could do with it. I learned to produce heightmaps from NASA's Shuttle Radar Topography Mission datasets and produced a 3D representation of Iceland. This project was short-lived as university started back and cut my time on it short. I was fortunate enough to find a researcher at the university who could supervise me on a final year masters project involving terrain, so my masters project picked up where this left off. In my masters thesis, a I analysed the performance gains of several common terrain Level of Detail strategies in a typical game environment. It earned the highest marks possible for a project of its type and I learned a lot about terrain LOD systems and shaders in the project. Since then I've advanced the end product to produce two visually impressive terrain rendering engines, one optimised for a real time strategy viewpoint and one optimised for a first person viewpoint.